Britain’s King Charles III said on Thursday that “the law must take its course” after police arrested his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
In a statement shared by Buckingham Palace, the monarch said, “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
Emphasising that “the law must take its course,” the King added, “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
The statement came after Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest and early morning searches at two addresses linked to Andrew.
“We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time,” the police said.
In line with U.K. guidance, police said they would not name the arrested individual. When asked to confirm whether Andrew, 66, had been detained, the force referred inquiries to its official statement.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said, “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”
Norfolk Police confirmed it is supporting the investigation.
The arrest followed reports that unmarked police vehicles and plain-clothed officers were seen at Wood Farm, Andrew’s current residence on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, early Thursday morning. The searches coincided with his 66th birthday.
While the specific allegations leading to the arrest have not been disclosed, Thames Valley Police had earlier said it was assessing claims that Andrew, while serving as the UK’s trade envoy, shared confidential government reports with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. The reports allegedly detailed trips to Singapore, China, Hong Kong and Vietnam in 2010 and 2011.
The allegations stem from correspondence released by the U.S. Department of Justice as part of its final disclosure of Epstein-related files. One email, originally sent to someone titled “The Duke” and later forwarded to Epstein, referenced attached visit reports relating to Southeast Asia. Another appeared to outline an investment opportunity in Afghanistan.
Additional scrutiny followed the release of a photograph showing Andrew leaning over a woman, whose identity and the context of the image remain unclear. The image was displayed during testimony by U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi before the House Judiciary Committee.
Police have also reviewed an allegation that Epstein sent a woman to Andrew at the Royal Lodge in Windsor in 2010. A spokesperson for Thames Valley Police previously said the information was being assessed in line with established procedures.
Andrew has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
The renewed investigation has revived longstanding questions about Andrew’s relationship with Epstein, who was first convicted in 2008 on state charges related to prostitution, including involving a minor. He later died in a New York jail cell in 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges.
Andrew’s ties to Epstein drew global attention after his 2019 interview on BBC’s Newsnight, in which he denied allegations made by Virginia Giuffre, one of Epstein’s most prominent accusers. Andrew said he had no recollection of meeting Giuffre and questioned the authenticity of a photograph showing them together with Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, who is serving a 20-year prison sentence.
In January 2022, Andrew was stripped of his military titles and royal patronages amid a civil sexual abuse case brought by Giuffre. The following month, he settled the lawsuit for an undisclosed sum without admitting liability. He was stripped of his remaining titles in late 2025 after further allegations emerged.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said before news of the arrest that “nobody is above the law” when asked whether Andrew should testify before the U.S. Congress.
“Anybody who has any information should testify, whether it’s Andrew or anyone else,” he told the BBC.
Buckingham Palace has reiterated that while the specific claims are for Andrew to address, the King would support the police if approached as investigations continue.
AFP


