Newton Isokpehi, the police officer who went viral on Wednesday after threatening to shoot dead anyone who recorded him on duty, has apologised.
He said his earlier remarks were made out of frustration and did not reflect his true intentions.
In a follow-up video posted on his TikTok page on Thursday, Isokpehi, who spoke in Pidgin English, addressed rights activist, Harrison Gwamnishu, one of those who had amplified his earlier threat, and pleaded for public forgiveness.
His remarks were translated into standard English.
“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening. These things are painful,” he said.
He insisted that his original video had been misunderstood, clarifying that he did not oppose members of the public filming police officers in principle.
“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty. They have taken it too far,” he said.
Isokpehi, who said he is from Edo State and grew up in the barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a dedicated officer with a proven record of service.
“Anywhere people ask about me, people will testify to my character. I have worked in the Mobile Police for 12 years. I have worked for my fatherland with all my heart,” he said.
He again displayed his gunshot injuries, this time in greater detail, as he sought to convey the toll of his years in active service.
“Look at my body, these are all bullets. These are all gunshot wounds. See my chest, bullet has eaten into it. Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation.
“We have suffered in this work. So it was out of annoyance. We don’t even like complaining,” he said
On his original threat to kill anyone who filmed him, he was categorical.
“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he said.
He appealed to Gwamnishu directly, acknowledging the video had travelled further than he anticipated.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far. If you want to know me, come and meet me one-on-one. You will know me personally. I will not run. I will not surrender,” he said.
Isokpehi closed with a message of goodwill, expressing hope that conditions for police officers would improve under the current Inspector General of Police.
“We have decided that we will die for our fatherland. One day, things will surely get better by the grace of God. One love to the world,” he said.
His original video, in which he threatened to “clear everybody down” including bystanders near anyone filming him, had gone viral earlier on Wednesday after being shared on X and Instagram.
The Nigeria Police Force had not issued a statement on the matter as of press time.
The PUNCH


